Warranties & Returns

Warranties & Returns

Rural & Turf Irrigation will happily assist customers who wish to return, or exchange goods purchased from our store or online.

Return/exchange of non-faulty goods

We are pleased to offer returns or exchanges on non-faulty goods.

With a receipt or tax invoice:

  • We can provide a refund
  • All returned goods must be unused, in original packaging and in saleable condition
  • Receipts and tax invoices must be valid and intact

All refunds will be provided back in the original tender. Credit card refunds must be processed back onto a credit card.

Note: A credit card must be present to gain a refund.

Without a receipt

We will record your proof of identification (eg drivers' licence) when returning non-faulty products without a receipt. Without this, we may not be able to accept your return. 

  • All goods for exchange must be unused, in original packaging and in saleable condition

Trade account returns/exchanges

If you're an account customer and presenting goods for return or exchange, a copy of the original invoice must be presented in-store along with the goods to arrange an account credit.

Commercial quantities are not generally returnable.

 Online purchases/exchanges

Online purchases can be returned either in-store with the tax invoice or by contacting our Customer Support team at [email protected]

Return/exchange of faulty goods

Faulty or damaged goods under warranties

In addition to manufacturers’ guarantees on selected products, Rural & Turf Irrigation and its suppliers provide a guarantee of acceptable quality on every product, by law. You're entitled to a replacement or refund for a major failure, and to compensation for other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage. You're also entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced if the goods fail to be of acceptable quality, but the failure does not amount to a major failure.

We recommend you retain your receipt, as we may require proof that you purchased the product from us. Our Team Members will be able to advise you whether a refund, exchange, repair or replacement is available.